Monday, May 5, 2014

Cape Town the garden route and the Wild coast

I haven't been very diligent about writing for the blog but it's been hard with parents and only having so long before Amy is back in the village. So we met my parents in Cape Town. It was my dad's birthday the day we got in but it was late so I was able to catch dinner with my parents. It's great seeing them again. It was fun catching up. The next morning we went to the old biscuit mill to see the local food market. The food was all really good. Tons of fresh foods. Then we went to Groot Constantia the oldest wine estate in South Africa. We took a tour and found out how wine was made. The barrels they age the wine in cost about a thousand dollars and are only used three times and they turn around and sell them for 22 dollars. After that me and Amy caught some local taxis back to the hotel. It was fun being back in Cape Town. I spent enough time that it brought back memories of when I was there before.

Old biscuit mill. A shopping area and also had a wholes section for local food all of which was incredible. 

Groot Constantia vineyard



Barrels. Real expensive barrels. 



The next day we were leaving Cape Town down the garden route. We first went to cape point and to the cape of good hope. Both I had been but it was really fun to show my parents and to check them out with Amy. From tree we headed down to Robertson where we stayed. We stopped at a olive farm there and then for lunch we went to a cheese farm. They were nice places. 

Scenic Route to cape point



Penguins in Simons town. Appearantly I neglected to take pictures at cape point this time. 

Lunch at Montangu cheese farm 


From there we went to Mosselbaii where we dove with great white sharks. They put you in a cage on the side of the boat and the sharks come crashing into the cage. The cage has all these bent bars from other shark encounters. It was fun and the whole thing was really impressive. 

Dad looking gangster ready for some great white action. 

Seal island where the sharks come to feed and where they shoot a good portion of shark week each year. 

Nom nom nom

Shark got a hold of the bait fish


Knysna heads

Bwahahahaha. Angry face




We then had a kind of long drive to Cintsa. Here we had views of beautiful beaches. We stayed at a place called buccaneers. It was a bunch of cottages. We had a really cool view of the ocean.  

View of the beach from the bungalow in the morning. 

From there we went back the Amy's village. Mom and dad stayed outside of underberg and went up Sani Pass. They went up into Lethsoto a country contained within South Africa. I spent the day with Amy in the village. All in all it was a great trip with Amy. I saw some beautiful country and was really excited to spend time with her. She went back to the village as my parents and I continued on to Kruger. 

The lovely ladies at Amy's village. Tey are all so sweet. Such great hosts. I will miss them all. Siabonga!

Birthday celebrating

Ubaba and umamas

Dancing!

This was her 'my best friend just asked me to be a brides maid happy face.' Worth contrasting against  angry face above. Great lunch in underberg before picking up the parents. 

Waiting for our shakes. 

So I got to spend four incredible weeks with Amy and I am beyond grateful for the hospitality she showed, her unyielding planning, and unending patience to put up with me. She is an incredible person who is doing amazing things in circumstances that are so foreign to most. I am glad I was able to get a glimpse into what she and other peace corp volunteers do.  I had experiences I will never forget and met the  most incredible people. I can't wait to see her after she completes her service in a couple of months. 


No comments:

Post a Comment