Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ho Chi Mihn city

Our trip to Saigon was good. It's a busy city with more motorbikes then I have ever seen in my life. It's insane. Crossing streets is a bit of an adventure. The bikes just kind of part around you as you go. You really don't want to hesitate or let them know that you see them once you start walking. I think they figure it's your responsibility at that point. We went to a giant market which are just big warehouse style building filled with stands. People hawk anything they think the can sell. Clothes, crappy souvenirs, I saw people selling coffee and toiletries. Lots of counterfeit goods. The markets, like the city are really busy, people grab your arm trying to get you to come buy whatever they might be selling. 

Some of the motorbikes. The line was long and had tons of bikes. 

War museum




After the market we went to the war remnant museum. This showed various items and photos from the Vietnam war. Needless to say it was a pretty heavy atmosphere. They had one exhibit that showed some of the effects of agent orange on individuals. It really was very sad. 



A pagoda we visited on one of our many city walks. 


Urns in the background

Aside from that we didn't do a lot on Saigon. We walked around a lot are really good food and met some fun people. We ran into a couple of couples we had met in previous towns. One from Canada and one from Sweden. It's always fun to see familiar faces. 

Brand left last night to catch a plane at 1am. I had a bit of a scare. I had thought that I was flying at noon so my plan was to get up grab some breakfast arrange transport to the airport and head out. Well I woke up at 7:45 and when I looked at my itinerary realized I actually flew at 9:30. I was out the door Ina minute or so and on the back of a motorbike speeding to the airport. I made my flight but it gave me a pretty good scare. 

It's kind if crazy parting ways with Brandt. We have been traveling for 5 months now together. We had a lot really great experiences together I will never forget and I look forward to catching up when we both get home and swapping stories. I am excited for Nepal it's right down my alley. Big mountains and awesome views. 

No comments:

Post a Comment