Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Kathmandu part two

I am on my way back to Kathmandu which is kind of sad. I really enjoyed Pokhara. I was really lucky though. I am sitting next to a Nepali women who just spent four years in London and comes from a very well to do background. I am lucky because she was able shed some light on Nepali culture. Nepal has a caste system which consists of 4 main castes and 36 sub-castes. She according to her is from the highest caste. She is really well educated is heading to Australia to study further. She told me about arranged marriages still vein common and herself being in one. She likes her husband but said she would continue the tradition. Her husband has his masters in computer engineering from a school in the UK. 

The city from the bus


The bustling streets

A street shrine. Thy are everywhere in the city. 

The bus ride went well largely because of the friend I made. I got into Kathmandu and got to
My hotel and then went out to explore. I ended up in some hole in the wall restaurant which is really saying something for Nepal. The food is cheap an looks good so no complaints. I think we are under a building though. For this meal chicken biryani, a sprite and chapati for less than two dollars. It's fun being back in Kathmandu. It really is hectic and would get tiring but for now is fun. 

I am having fun wandering grouch the city. We got some rain so I ducked into a cafe for a treat and get out of the rain. 

I went back to Durban square and it was really cool. Last time I went on a Saturday so it was really busy. Today was cool though. I got to see more of te square because last time I was there so early. Went up the nine storied palace and through some museums. It was nice. 


One of the cool squares off the road

Most of The squares pagodas like this. 






View from the top of 9 story palace

The wood working


There is a bike there somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment