Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Up then down, down, down 3200m to 1200m

So we did it. We walked the entire way. Our last day we encountered some rain but managed to stay fairly dry. We are not driving toward Phokara in a taxi. It wasn't much more than the bus as we are splitting it three ways and will go directly to the hotel rather than the bus station. 




View from poon hill






Prayer flags. They are everywhere. 






We started the day with a pretty good climb up poon hill where we had incredible views of the sunrise over the mountains. The valley was covered in a blanket of clouds. It really was epic. 

From there it was back to the hotel for muesli and hot milk. It's become a staple with porridge on the trip. From there we started our descent. It was harder than expected. It's tiring after than many days an the downhills tend to remind you of all you aches and pains. 

We stopped at a tea house for lunch. It was good but nothing special. And kept going down. 

We made Naya Pul by 4 where we found a taxi to take us the remainder of the way. 

Pack mule with donkeys. One of many hazards on the trail. 

Our taxi. These are the taxi of choice here. 

I am super excited I did it. It was a terrific experience. I would do it again in a second and had I more time I would have probably combined this one with another trek. 

The villages and the people are just incredible. The views majestic and company superb. I had tons of fun getting to know Declan. We talked everything from religion, relationships to politics. Met some really great people along the way. We will hang out until I leave on the 26th. He's a great trekking partner and better friend. 

Here's my plug. Nepal is incredible. It's on my list of places to come back. I look forward to the time I have left and from a trekking standpoint it's great. They really make it easy for anyone to do it. 

1 comment: