Saturday, January 4, 2014

Thousand islands

I got a massage in Indo. It wasn't as strong as it was in Thailand. It was enjoyable for sure. We spent a lot of yesterday getting ready for the weekend. We are heading to 1000 islands. We got up at four this morning. We are going to be taking a local fishing boat to the island. It takes like two and a half hours to get there. It cost about forty five dollars for the trip. It includes 3 days and 2 nights with all food and accommodations. Also bicycles and snorkeling and traveling between a couple different islands. 

We just got to the boat and we are on a level where you can only kneel. Not going to be the most comfortable ride to the islands. We did get a couple life jackets to sit on so that should help a little. 

A bajaj like the tuk tuk in Thailand. 







So I ended up sleeping most the way. A four o'clock wake up helped with that I think. The island is beautiful. It probably looks like any tropical island but more the part that tourist don't really go. With chickens running around and cement homes rather than hotels. We are not staying in an area where tourists go. I have no idea what we would have done if Maudy and Oly didn't come along. No one speaks any English besides hey mister it seems. 

We walked down to the beach and found a bridge you can jump off of which of course was right down Brandt and my alley. We played around on it for a while and now are about to go and do some snorkeling. 





Snorkeling was beautiful. There are Aimee really nice reefs and decent fish life. I saw a lion fish. They are really cool looking fish. 



There are areas where there is tons of garbage. I guess it's from Jakarta and I believe it. We saw one river that was just full of garbage. It's kind of sad. They really don't do a lot to protect some of their beautiful place here. The boats use anchors and you can see where they have torn apart the reef.  I love snorkeling. I don't swim well but I could snorkel all day long. 

Today has been another fun day on the island. We went for a bike ride and went some beautiful beaches. I swam some. I even walked out to a small island off one of the beaches. There was a little bamboo shack thing I hung out in for a few minutes. 




A guy building a ship

This is where we are ataying on the island







We just had an awesome dinner that our tour guide caught and prepared. It was a fish barbecue. The fish were cooked in coconut shells. The food was incredible. Tomorrow we leave which is sad. The islands been incredible. 





1 comment:

  1. This whole island experience sounds and looks amazing! Wish I could smell the food. :)

    ReplyDelete